Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Diary of a Sickness Bug

Reader, I write this from my sick bed. (Or should that be sick sofa?)  I spent two days confined to my bed or the bathroom floor, but managed to venture downstairs two days ago so have now colonised the sofa.  I am utilising this one-off, unique opportunity of seemingly endless and boring free time to do some blogging.  I have spent hours on Pinterest.  Days on Facebook.  Watched about 5 films.  Had Sky+ on constantly.  Read.  And most of all laid there all morose and listless and sorry for myself. 
 
 
Eric and I have a sickness bug.  The full, explosive works.  I am weak as a kitten. 

I literally never got stomach bugs before I had Eric but I think the germs he picks up from playgroups/nursery/friends plus the close contact we have makes it inevitable.  I am with him all day, he shares food with me by putting it in his mouth then into mine, we usually co-sleep at night. 
 
 
It started on Saturday night, after his birthday party.  He had been a bit whiny and not wanting to eat, but we assumed it was the hot weather, or the excitement and tiredness from his party, or an excess of sugar and crisps.  Until he woke up at 11:30pm and threw up everywhere, instantly screaming "YUCK! YUCKY! YUUUUUUCK!" Poor chap. 

As any parent knows, having a sick child means endless, endless washing.  Sheets, duvets, pillowcases, the pillows and cushions themselves, teddies, pyjamas, throws, all the towels and flannels used to mop up...everything seems to get covered. My trial and (many) error(s) tip is to make sure you don't fill the washing machine too full and to always put it on a rinse cycle first, especially if you have a washer-dryer.  Too many times we've ended up with 'fresh' laundry with baked-on sick.  Just as soon as you've speedily panic-washed the many loads of sicky washing as you're running out of clean bedding they inevitably vom on them again, restarting the cycle. 
 
We bathed him, cleared up, put a wash on then I slept in his room with him to give him comfort.  Every murmur and tummy gurgle woke me up in an emetophobic panic.  He was fine until 5:50 in the morning when the clean sheets were ruined from, um, the 'other' end.  Back in the bath!
 
The morning brought with it dread of food poisoning and the hideous possibility of having made all Eric's friends and their parents at the party ill.  Had I somehow undercooked the party food and poisoned all our guests? But vegan food rarely gives people food poisoning, there's no salmonella or E Coli! But what if it has this time? The guilt, the shame, the fear of people thinking maybe the food had made them sick by fact of it being vegan and thus them deciding they should never, ever eat vegan food, never to contemplate a more plant-based diet in the future.  Nooooooo! Thankfully (thankfully?) after checking with most people it transpired that only Eric was ill. 
 
More diarrhoea ensued in the morning, but Eric was bright and lively.  We sent our disappointed regrets that we wouldn't be able to go to one of Eric's best chum's birthday party in Bristol that day, and hunkered down with CBeebies and all the windows thrown open.  He had opened some of his birthday presents from friends the previous day, and the Shopping List memory game became an instant favourite and a life saver of parental sanity. 



Eric crashed out in the afternoon so I seized the opportunity to catch up with my sister over shopping and coffee, and Eric remained asleep until I got home.  Towards the end of the day though, I too was feeling peaky, and went to bed at about 8:30.  We decided that it'd be a good idea for Alex to sleep on the sofa for the duration so there would be less chance of him getting ill, and so Eric could co-sleep in our bed if he wanted comfort. 

Eric slept through the night and the next day was absolutely fine, so we assumed he was all better (ha HA, never count your chickens parents!) but unfortunately the same couldn't be said for me.  I crawled, grey, nauseous, dead-eyed and hot into bed in the morning and stayed either there or in the bathroom for the entire day.  Fan on.  All the windows open.  Sheets in a sweaty tangled mess.  Frequent pyjama changes.  It was hideous. I am lucky Alex is home at the moment and could look after Eric, that's for sure.  I did nothing that day other than read, play Geoguessr (best game EVER) and just lie there, miserably.  The evening was the worst, culminating in not being able to get off the toilet and having to be bent over a sick bowl/the basin at the same time.  Both ends!  TMI I know but this blog is nothing if not honest, and I don't think there should be any shame about these things, we're all the same!  I dragged a duvet and some cushions into the bathroom and hunkered down for the night.

 
Unfortunately, I was then woken up by Eric being sick again, in the middle of a thunderstorm, after having been fine for about 36 hours.  I popped the little guy in the bath and started to run the water when we had a power cut, all the lights went out, totally dark! I grabbed Eric's solar-powered bird light from his room but he was still really frightened, and still covered in sick! Argh! Luckily the power came on again so I could finish cleaning him up and soothing him.  We sang "I hear thunder".  He didn't want to be left alone so I took him downstairs with me to get him a drink of water, where he promptly threw up over his train track and again on the floor.  Sigh.
 
Since then (Tuesday 2:30am) he's been mostly ok, no more sickness, happy and bright and bubbly, but still with watery poo (oh yes, when you become a parent all you'll ever talk about is poo in all it's many varieties.)  I had my driving test booked for 11:21 in the morning but felt tired, rough and scared to be away from a loo, so I had to cancel it.  I was gutted as I was actually feeling fairly calm and confident, and had been working really hard towards it.  And it means I lost £62 as the DSA won't accept a doctor's note! But I've re-booked it now for 20th August, so I'll just focus my energies on getting ready for that instead of being tamping fuming raging at the DSA.


I spent Tuesday resting and watching films with Eric, while Alex went to pick up some essentials in town.  I have felt so guilty the whole time I've been ill as I haven't been able to look after Eric very well, take him out or do anything fun with him.  I'm so glad Alex is here as looking after a poorly child while you're sick is hell.  Of course you do it, and do your utmost best, but I appreciate being lucky not to have to his time.  I can't wait until Eric and I are both 100% better so we can go swimming/to the library/on a Great Adventure/make some cakes and actually want to eat them.  One positive thing to have come from us being ill though is that Eric and I watched Despicable Me together for the first time and really loved it! He loved the 'minimons' (minions) and I found it really funny too, it cheered us both up.  We watched it twice in one day.

Hee hee hee
Today I have mostly enjoyed The Valleys, Cheer Perfection, New Girl and Kirstie Allsopp's Fill Your Home For Free.  And I have managed to wash my hair for the first time in four days and do a few things round the house! Everything had got soooo messy and really piled up, so it feels good to have got things a bit more clean and organised again.  I feel loads better this evening so hopefully we're both on the mend now and we'll be right as rain soon.

Eric wanted me to upload these pictures:


 


And in other happy news it's Eric's birthday tomorrow (Well, today when I post this! Yay!)...

When I'm better you can expect some upcoming posts about Eric's birthday party and his birthday, a review of a brilliant CD we've been listening to lately, some Great Adventure, We Like To Read and Vegan FAQ posts, a review of hand-printed, ethical t shirts and a general life post about all the "busy things" we've been up to lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment